With so many different authors and genres.
Use the Reading Zone to set up guided reading in the classroom:
- Choose six different ones. Groups of five students, each with a different book.
- Show each group their author introduction ( they are usually less than 8 minutes). This could be at any point during their reading.
- Allow them to read independently but make use of the guided questions.
- Discuss any prior knowledge of this author
- Discuss the title, cover, illustrations...
- Predict what the story might be about
- Point out details to each other
- Compare/contrast/analyse the chapters
- Give your opinions on characters and events
- Make inferences
- Look at the way people and places are described